By Jadée Nikita
We hear you, gyal! Everyone has been in that place where they get cut from an audition they really had their heart set on. If you have been to any audition and experienced rejection, congratulations! You are officially one step closer to success. At least you had the courage to walk into that studio, dance your heart out, and leave knowing that you did your best. Like Teddy Roosevelt said, “It is hard to fail, but it is worse to have never tried to succeed.” But we also understand that sometimes you need a little extra mental boost. We’ve got 8 simple tips for you (and all fellow auditioners!) to try next time you’re down on your luck. These tactics are near and dear to our heart. We think they’re great not only for coping with nope, but also for maintaing a positive outlook on all things dance and life related!
- Surround yourself with positive people and positive energy
- Allow yourself to mope around for a maximum of 48 hours. After that, move on. Extended moping will only encourage you to be a hindrance to yourself
- Talk to a close confidant in order to get everything off your chest
- Don’t self-destruct. Self-construct. Never beat yourself up over situations you can’t control
- Keep a journal and write down all of your audition experiences
- Dust yourself off and try again. Get back in the classroom and train harder and smarter
- Get inspired by other art forms. See a show or visit a museum with friends
- Don’t forget how great you and scream to yourself “I am gone with the wind fabulous” at least once a day! Then twirl and snap!
Retail therapy is also nice 😉 Don’t forget to check out Fly Gyal’s online dance shop and if you see something nice, share with your friends and receive 10% off your next purchase!