By Kimberly Roberson
This year’s makeup trends have been heavy in the lipstick department. From bold reds, to shocking lilacs, and cool corals, lipstick shades are the ultimate fashion statement. These beautiful colors are fantastic for any dance number, but they can be tricky to apply. Plus, with your hair whipping and your arms swinging as you dance, you could risk getting lipstick all over your face, not to mention your body! Follow these five simple steps to maintain budge-proof lipstick during any performance.
1. Moisturize your lips with a lip balm that is infused with Shea butter, directly after your shower to retain moisture. Shea butter is the ultimate moisturizer when it comes to dry, cracked skin, and works wonders on the lips. C.O. Bigelow’s My Favorite Lip Balm is a great one to try, and available at your local Bath & Body Works.
2. Save your lipstick application as your final step. Allow the moisturizers from your lip balm to penetrate your lips. When you are ready to apply your lipstick, blot excess lip balm with a tissue.
3. Apply a lip primer. One lip primer we recommend is M.A.C.’s Prep + Prime Lip Primer. This amazing lip primer extends the wear of any lipstick, and decreases the appearance of fine lines and the texture of the lips. In addition, the lip primer allows the lip color to bind to the lips preventing excess budging or slipping. Apply M.A.C.’s Prep + Prime Lip Primer all over lips, and slightly around lip line.
4. Line and fill in your lips with a lip pencil — either matching the lip color you would like to use, or slightly darker than the lip color to create this year’s on-trend ombré lip look. Lip liners are dual purpose — they are imperative to help retain the wear of your lip color, and can also change the look of any lip color you apply over the liner. As you begin to apply your lip liner, “stretch” the lip by smiling with your mouth closed. Stretching the lip in this way allows you to reach the corners of your mouth, and allows the pencil to glide over your lips easily. You can steady your arm on your vanity or table as you apply the lip liner. A wonderful budge-proof lip liner is Makeup Forever’s Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil, the pencil comes in 20 different shades and is formulated with incredible staying power.
5. Apply your lipstick with a lip brush the same way you would as the lip liner, smiling with your mouth closed. Using a lip brush gives you a more controlled application and helps prevent lipstick from slipping. Sometimes, applying lipstick directly from the tube deposits more lipstick than you actually need, which is what causes lipstick to slip. In the event that you do not have a lip brush available, apply the lipstick directly from the tube, and blot before every application until you achieve your desired color depth and finish. As a final tip, lipsticks that are made in a matte finish have more staying power than lip sticks with creamier textures and finishes.
Cover photo via: Iain Crawford/Who Designed It