By Jadée Nikita
When prepping to attend a dance agent audition, the answer to “what do I wear?” is a daunting one. You have to look polished and presentable, yet show your awesome personality at the same time. Since first impressions are everything at a dance agent audition, it is important that you come across as a professional and marketable artist. Also, since an agent makes commission from the jobs you book, they want to represent a client that has a variety of skill sets and looks. Most importantly, this industry is 10% talent and 90% business. Professionalism and a clean polished look will take you a long way as opposed to the over the top, lady gaga wannabes.
A few things to keep in mind:
- K.I.S.S – Keep It Simple & Sexy
- Show off your body and wear form fitting attire that accentuates your assets
- Create a relatable character with your outfit. How do you want them to see you? Girl next door, sexy, sassy, sweet?
- Bring every dance shoe you have ESPECIALLY heels!!
- Bring at least 3 copies of your headshot and résumé stapled together with your name on both
- Make sure everything is securely pinned. You don’t want clothing, accessories, or hair flying off on the dance floor!
- Bring a pen, safety pins, and a winning attitude!
- Wear gaudy prints, graphics and over the top accessories
- Wear any lip color other than a vibrant red or pink. Blacks, magentas, blues and greens are best for the club.
- Wrap anything around your waist or cover up with baggy jackets and clothes. The agent wants to see your body!
- Get caught unprepared! Pack extra leggings, stockings, tops, shorts and skirts just in case you have to make a quick wardrobe change.
- Have anyone else’s name on your photograph – i.e photographer’s watermark
Abbie Harness Bralette $85 / SEXY STRETCH SIDE STRIPE LEGGING $40 / Rizzo Faux Leather Biker Gloves $22 / MANGO Spike pendant hoop earrings $20 / LONG AND STRAIGHT TIE ON PONYTAIL HAIR EXTENSION $24 / Black Double Strap Heels $29 / MANGO Leather cropped top $90 / Sequined Admirer Shorts $40 / Avant Garter Tights $18 / Aeropostale Love Arrow Bracelet 3-Pack $15 / Juicy Couture Cushion Stud Earring $38 / Zara Mary Jane Court Shoe $50 / Lindsey Lace Bralette $11 / American Apparel Lace Print Nylon Tricot High-Waist Leggings $42 / Ladies Gold 3 Inch Braided Style Rifle Bamboo Hoop Pincatch Earrings $7 / M·A·C ‘Viva Glam 1’ Lipstick $15 / Women’s Mossimo Nadia Pumps Black/White $15