Organic…hmm, is it really?

By Cody Frank

We have all strolled down the grocery aisle or seen a label on a food that states organic. Do you know what this label represents? Are you cynical or do you actually believe in it? Well, here’s the breakdown for you, Flygyal. You have the right to know what is really behind this label.

Screen-shot-2011-05-20-at-1.05.54-PM

Photo via Sales Force Marketing Cloud.

The USDA National Organic Program (NOP) defines organic as food that is produced by farmers who use renewable resources and strive to preserve the environment quality of soil and water for future generations. Meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products that are organic are produced from animals that are not given antibiotics or growth hormones.

Organic food is made without using the majority of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms or ionizing radiation. Government-approved certifiers inspect every farm (where the food is grown) that want to label the food as organic. These certifiers check to see if the farmer is following all the rules that meet the mandatory USDA organic standards. Companies that handle or process organic food before it gets to your local supermarket or restaurant are checked by government-approved certifiers too.

Why’s this label look different than the other label? You may have seen more than one kind of organic label. This can be confusing and below is an explanation of what each category represents. If the food has a label such as hormone-free, free-range, or all natural; it does not mean it’s organic.

– 100% Organic = Produced with 100% organic ingredients

– Organic = Produced with at least 95% organic ingredients

– Made With Organic Ingredients = Produced with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients with harsh rules on the remaining 30%.  (This includes no GMO’s which are genetically modified organisms).

When labeling with the USDA organic seal, meat must be 100% organic and multi-ingredient products marketed with the seal must contain 95% or more certified organic content.

image.php

Photo via Organic.org

Hope this outline helped you understand what’s behind the organic label.  If so please share with your favorite gyal pals, then shop the latest dance trends on our shop @ flygyal.com!
Cover photo via low fat vegan chef blog.
Thank you to the FDAEatocracy, and Organic.Org for the above information.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s