By Cody Frank
In the city that never sleeps, walking is something every one does on a daily basis. Whether you are a resident or not, walking is inevitable in NY. Lucky for you, walking has many health benefits. Check out these cool facts on walking, below:
- Walking is also known as ambulation. The term “walk” is from the Old English wealcan, or “to roll.”
- An average city block is about 200 steps
- Fast walking (defined as greater than or equal to 3.5mph) has been shown to lower blood pressure, reduce body fat/risks of bone fracture, and to increase high-density lipoprotein.
- Walk 6,000 steps a day to improve your health and 10,000 to lose weight.
- On average, a person would need to walk seven hours to burn off a Super-Sized Coke, fries, and a Big Mac
- Walking one mild a day burns 100 calories. You could lose 10lbs in one year without changing your diet.
- To burn off one plain M&M candy, a person would need to walk the entire length of a football field.
- A 2000 study reported that walking regularly (three times or more a week for half an hour or more) saves $330 a year in health care costs.
- If you walked instead of driving 10 miles a week, it would eliminate 500 lbs of carbon dioxide emissions per year.
Take an extra walk today and feel good about yourself.