By Cody Frank
Halloween is this week. Are your costumes and screams ready? Whether you celebrate Halloween or not, it’s still a good time of year to start in on the holiday treats. Below are a few Rice Krispie recipes that will satisfy your fall cravings. If you are sick of the manufactured candy, try something new!
photo via wallpaperswala
S’mores Rice Krispies
3 Tablespoons butter
10oz mini marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
3-1/2oz marshmallow fluff
6 sheets graham crackers (12 halves), divided
1/2 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- First, spray an 8×8 baking dish with non stick spray. Put 1 cup of chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl & microwave in 20 seconds increments, until melted and smooth. Stir the chocolate between every 20 seconds. Place marshmallow fluff in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large pot. Add marshmallows & stir until smooth. Add the Rice Krispies and stir until it’s combined well. Quickly, scoop half of the mixture into the baking dish and press into an even layer (Recommended to spray the bottom of glass with nonstick spray to help press.) Then pour the melted chocolate over the rice krispie treats layer. Smooth with a spatula. Add 9 of the graham cracker halves on top. For 20 seconds, microwave marshmallow fluff. Then spread on top of graham crackers.
- Spoon remaining rice krispie treats on top of marshmallow fluff layer & press lightly to smooth. Melt the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips with vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl in 20 second increments. Between increments stir, until melted & smooth. Drizzle the chocolate on top of the rice krispie treats and crumble 3 remaining graham crackers halves to sprinkle on top.
- Allow rice krispie treats to set for 30 minutes before slicing into 16 squares with a sharp knife and serving.
Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree* (or fresh..blot excess moisture from puree)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 oz white chocolate candy melts (Or Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Bar)
- 24 mallowcreme pumpkins (optional)
1. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick spray. If you want thicker treats you can use a 11.7 pan.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the pumpkin puree & cook until it is warmed through. Fold the marshmallows, stirring frequently until almost completely melted. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Then remove from heat.
3.The marshmallow mixture needs to cool for 20 minutes or until it is at room temperature (This is important because failure to cool the mixture = soggy rice krispie treats.) Add the cereal and stir until combined.
3. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan & spread out evenly. It’s recommended to spray the back of a large spatula with non-stick spray. Then gently press the mixture. Set aside for about 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
4. Store in an airtight container up to one week. You could even cut these treats into pumpkin shapes or decorate with regular candy corns.
Nutella Cocoa Rice Krispie
1 bag (10 oz) Mini Marshmallows
1 cup Nutella
1 box (12 0z) Cocoa Krispie Cereal
6 Tbsp Butter
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
Non-Stick Cooking Spray
1. In a 9×9 inch baking pan, spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Melt the butter in a large non-stick pot over medium heat. Add in marshmallows and stir together with butter and Nutella until marshmallows have melted and become creamy. Stir in vanilla extract.
3. Fold in Cocoa Krispie cereal until all marshmallows and cereal are evenly mixed together. Spread treats into sprayed baking pan. Press into pan. Place into fridge for 10 minutes to cool.
4. Slice into bars and serve.